Concussion Guidelines and Procedures
- Created: Thursday, 06 August 2009 09:55
- Last Updated: Thursday, 10 June 2010 13:59
- Published: Thursday, 06 August 2009 09:55
- Written by Pat Ryan
- Hits: 4645
On July 26, 2009, House Bill 1824 – also known as the Zackery Lystedt Law – became effective. The law will directly affect youth sports, head injury policies and future Washington Little League player registration processes.
Since the law has passed, all Washington District 2 Little Leagues must follow all steps outlined below to ensure they are compliant with the law. The two requirements that directly affect registration processes include:
- Annually require all players and the parent(s)/guardian(s) of those players to sign and return an informed consent form relating to the nature and risk of concussion or head injury. This information sheet shall include the signs and symptoms of concussion/brain injury and can be found below.
- Ensuring that all coaches are educated in the nature and risk of concussion or head injury prior to the first practice/competition. This education shall include signs and symptoms of concussion/brain injury. Resources for this education are available in both English and Spanish.